Calling a lawmaker (State Assembly Member or Senator) is not as intimidating as it sounds. When you call, you will likely speak with a staff member who will make note of your comments and pass them on to your legislator. Here are some talking points:
- Our school district has lost $__ million dollars in the past seven years (find out how much).
- Programs have been cut due to reductions in funding and the addition of unfunded mandates.
- The property tax cap is near 0% this coming budget year, which will likely lead to additional program, staffing and facilities cuts.
- Every student in New York State represents four voters.
- As the 2016-2017 budget is being developed: